Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Time for Play

 


      Earlier this week when I was out running errands, I stopped in at a thrift store and came across this figurine sitting on a shelf. Immediately drawn to her I didn't think twice, I knew she was waiting for me. Curious because I'm really not a figurine kind of girl. My taste in décor tends towards the natural i.e., rocks, shells, branches and nests, woven baskets and handmade pottery and glass. 
But home she came, and it seemed only natural to nestle her into a nest where she now sits overseeing my design-table. She has a presence. She reminded me of someone. 

     When I was a young teenager, we went for a time to a Spiritualist church. Being psychic and extremely sensitive myself the minister became my first spiritual teacher. She was the one who introduced me formally to my three spirit guides one of which is a young girl. I had frequently had vivid dreams of this girl with her long golden hair. We would run in the fields and woods and laugh and play and that was exactly her purpose, to remind me to play! I had always been a rather serious, studious and opinionated child, seemingly much older. In fact, my mother used to say I was older than she was! I would stand in my playpen with my hands on my hips staring at her with a displeased look on my face. I mean seriously what did she expect me to get into in there? 




     When we are children playing develops our imagination and awakens curiosity. Studies show that children who play out in nature regularly develop more independence, build healthy relationships, are better problem solvers, and are generally healthier and happier. They have room to grow into themselves. When I was a child, I never wanted to be in the house. I was always barefoot and frequently had flowers woven into my hair or wore my grandmothers wide-brimmed sun hat on my head. I climbed trees and waded in creeks, took my cats for rides in my bicycle basket, and loved to roll down hills. My Mother installed a metal triangle at the backdoor which she rang when it was time to come in for dinner as I was usually deep in the woods or far afield. My brother and I would build fairy houses in the woods, or forts, search for toads, climb rocks and one of my favorites practice walking without making sound, not easy to do in the woods with leaf matter and twigs underfoot. 



     My mother took us on frequent nature hikes, picnics or to the beach or lake on summer days. My Dad, though not a "nature" person, (he was one of those dads who would wear socks with his sandals to the beach, he hated sand!) taught us how to play games like chess and tennis, and even he enjoyed going to the local park to feed the ducks. The point is that play can be anything that brings you enjoyment and pleasure. Everyone's idea of play is different. 



     Design is play for me and flowers my playmates. Being an artist and a businesswoman can sometimes be very much at odds with each other. There are deadlines, bills to pay, and schedules to maintain. All of which can take the fun out of doing what you love. And I know after the past few months I was so focused upon the business that I left no room really for play. It left me feeling depleted, sad, and exhausted. My get up and go got up and left! So, I stepped back from everything. I needed space to let go and just Be. I started doing things again that I love that had fallen by the wayside. Started reading again. Taking walks in Nature again. Playing with my cats (they love to play hide & seek). Making art for Me. Baking again. Play feeds us on a different level. It nourishes our senses, our minds, our bodies and our Spirits. To be inspired is to be in-spirit. 


     So my little friend sits in her nest staring at me. But her hands are not on her hips, they hold flowers instead. She is reminding me again that I need to take and make the time for play... and that I really need to find a wide brimmed hat again...and a nest. I'm really envious of her nest, lol. I really want to have a full-sized nest to sit in like her...hmmm. 

                You are never too old to play so Go outside and play!
                 Blessings 
      

     

     
     







No comments:

Post a Comment

Time for Play

        Earlier this week when I was out running errands, I stopped in at a thrift store and came across this figurine sitting on a shelf. I...